This Week in Highway Robbery: Acer Predator 21 X Gaming Laptop
Are you disappointed that laptops have gotten ridiculously light with this inane ultrabook fad? Do you wish you should be forced to plug in your laptop instead of relying on silly batteries? Wouldn’t you love to use a massive rolling hard case to carry around your laptop instead of a simple bag?
Enter the Acer Predator 21 X Gaming Laptop, a 21-inch behemoth that weighs as much as six MacBooks combined, costs as much as a 2010 Dodge Charger and has a battery life of less than two hours. As a laptop, this is a terrible idea. As a home gaming computer, this is a terrible idea.
How does Acer attempt to justify the $8,999.99 price tag? Here are the specs:
- Screen: 21-inch 2560 x 1080 WFHD Curved Display with G-SYNC
- Video Cards: Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 in SLI with 16GB of GDDR5X VRAM
- CPU: 7th Gen Intel Core i7-7820HK (Up to 3.9GHz)
- Memory: 64GB DDR4
- Hard Drives: 1TB PCIe SSD in RAID 0, 1TB HDD
- Five-Fan Cooling System with 3 AeroBlade Metal Fans
- Cherry MX RGB Mechanical Keyboard
- 4.2 Dolby Audio Premium Sound System
It also comes with a hard shell transport case that looks about the size of a large carry-on when boarding a plane. In addition to room for the “laptop,” Acer has included room for the two massive power bricks needed for charging; just so ideal for any crowded coffee shop.
Here’s a review from The Verge is you want to see this ridiculous piece of tech in action: